EXPLORERS STUDIO (AGES 7-12)
LEARN TO LEARN
Socratic Discussions and self paced challenges equip children to be independent lifelong learners.
Learn to Do
Hands-on Quests for Science, Entrepreneurship and the Arts prepare children for Apprenticeships and real world challenges
Learn To Be
The Hero’s Journey, relational covenants and real world consequences transform difficult decisions into virtuous habits.
21st century learning
EXPLORERS: The goal in the Explorers Studio (ages 7-12 / Elementary) is to develop a deep love of learning, strong communication skills, character, and kindness and accountability in relationships with others. While there are always experiments and improvements, evidence in our studio, and studios across the world, suggest our young heroes are developing a love of learning and a sense of kindness in how they relate to one another.
- The latest in educational technology for self paced mastery of reading, writing and math skills.
- Deep Socratic discussions about heroes, history and self governance to hone critical thinking skills and the ability to powerfully think, write and speak.
- Hands-on project based Quests to master the tools and skills needed to solve problems in the real world.
- Written promises and covenants that form a tightly bound community of individuals learning to form authentic friendships and honestly resolve interpersonal problems.
A LEARNER DRIVEN COMMUNITY
A progressive Montessori inspired environment, guided by the following principles:
- Mixed age groups which not only offer a wide range of activities to spark children’s interest but also enable children to learn from others and learn by helping others.
- Freedom for children to work at their own pace, without interruption, choosing from a range of activities that are developmentally challenging and appropriate.
- Exploration is encouraged so that children find things out for themselves, make mistakes and correct them independently.
- Respect for each child as an individual personality with unique talents.
- Respect for others, the community and the environment.
EARN BADGES TO PROVE YOU’VE MASTERED NEW SKILLS
Young heroes celebrate the mastery of tools, skills and character by earning badges, assembling portfolios and taking part in public exhibitions.
- Parents use badges to track academic progress in Core Skills like reading, writing, math and spelling and character development in “Learn to Be” Badges.
- Electronic and hard copy Portfolios capture rough drafts, photos, video and other creative work.
- Public exhibitions at the end of most Quests allow young heroes to present work to experts, customers or the public for a real world test.