Explore Our Resources
Interested in learning more about E.S.T.E.A.M Academy/Acton Academy’s unique and powerful approach to learning? Explore the resources below, and feel free to contact us with any questions. We are happy to help!
Would you like a quick overview of some of the ideas and concepts around this different format for education? We suggest checking out Unschooling Rules, by Clark Aldrich (foreword by Jeff Sandefer, founder of Acton Academy Austin). This straight forward book outlines many of the key principles of an Infinityeducation in small, digestible bites. In just two hours, you can finish it cover-to-cover and will have a better understanding of whether or not an Infinityeducation is a good fit for your child.
If you would like to dig deeper into the Acton Academy model may we suggest Courage to Grow by Laura Sandefer. This amazing story tells how a small school in Austin, Texas sparked a worldwide awakening of families, who believe every child deserves to find a calling that will change the world. The book takes you on the journey of how Acton Academy began and why we believe that every child is a genius!
Watch the videos below to get a sense of our model school, Acton Academy, which gave us the passion to open our own version in Round Rock.
An award winning independent documentary about Acton Academy.
Virtual Tour of the Academy
An inside look at the Acton Academy studio.
A TEDX talk by Acton co-founder Jeff Sandefer on 21st Century learning.
Other inspiring videos:
- Sir Ken Robinson makes the case for a radical shift from standardized schools to personalized learning
- A follow-up talk by Sir Ken Robinson emphasizing the need for a Learning Revolution.
- Education scientist Sugata Mitra’s inspiring vision for child-driven education.
- Salman Khan talks here about how and why he created the remarkable Khan Academy, one of the online tools that Infinity employs to help students master their mathematics goals
- Martin Seligman talks about positive psychology and its connection to, amongst other things, education
- Unschooling Rules, by Clark Aldrich (foreword by Jeff Sandefer, founder of Acton Academy Austin)
- Courage to Grow: How Acton Academy Turns Learning Upside Down, by Laura Sanderfer
- A Field Guide for the Hero’s Journey, by Jeff Sandefer and Rev. Robert A Sirico
- Disrupting Class: How Disruptive Innovation Will Change the Way the World Learns, by Clayton Christensen
- The One World Schoolhouse: Education Reimagined, by Salman Khan
- Talent Code, by Daniel Coyle
- A Thomas Jefferson Education: Teaching a Generation of Leaders for the Twenty-First Century, by Oliver DeMille
- The Hero’s Journey: With Guide Eddie E.S.T.E.A.M Academy’s weekly Podcast
- Honey! I’m Homeschooling the Kids interview E.S.T.EA.M Parent Chip Franks: Episode 013 “Advice From Dad” Chip Franks Part 1
Getting Smart Podcast | S2:E44 Acton Academy: Building a Student-Centered School…And Global Network
- Self Made Man: HAVE KIDS? MAKE SURE YOU SEND THEM TO THIS REVOLUTIONARY NEW SCHOOL…
- Highlander Institute: Episode 064: Laura Sandefer, Co-Founder and Head of School at Acton Academy
- The Bookmonger with John J. Miller: Ep. 174: Courage To Grow: How Acton Academy Turns Learning Upside Down
- Opinion article about Acton Academy Austin (Forbes)
- Although Infinity School is not an AltSchool, there are many similarities between the two systems. Here is an interesting article about AltSchool in The New Yorker Magazine.
- This article in Education Week talks about the phenomenon of “micro-schools” and mentions Acton Academy as a leader in this type of programming: “Micro Schools” Could Be New Competition For Private K-12
- Inside the Schools That Want to Create the Next Mark Zuckerberg–Starting at Age 5 Inc.com
- How Acton Academy Turns Learning Upside Down: Nation Review
While we don’t subscribe to everything that’s discussed in these resources, we certainly get excited about some of the ideas they share!