PATHFINDERS STUDIO (AGES 11-16)
Preparing to change the world.
Our Learner Driven Communities are run mostly by our Heroes, where closely connected families of lifelong learners are bound by clear covenants; and “Learning to Do” and “Learning to Be” are even more important than “Learning to Know.”
FIND A CALLING
The Hero’s Journey, relational covenants and real world consequences transform difficult decisions into virtuous habits.
21st century learning
PATHFINDERS: Our Pathfinders Studio (ages 12-16 / Middle School / Early HS) is geared toward working hard and increasing rigor. Things like grammar and polished sentence structures, more complex problem solving, and deep, transformational opportunities are all part of this experience. A truly transformative experience where heroes navigate between childhood and young adulthood while developing leadership skills and a strong work ethic. Here our Heroes learn to better understand themselves and begin to define their path into the world beyond. A basic high school diploma has been earned upon mastery of this studio’s badge plan and opens up opportunities in our Teen Academy.
- Mastering Reading, Writing, Math, and Civilization using computer simulations and intense Socratic Discussions.
- Deep Socratic discussions about heroes, history and self governance to hone critical thinking skills and the ability to powerfully think, write and speak.
- Competing and collaborating in a game-like series of real world projects to learn 21st Century Skills.
- Experimenting with entrepreneurs, scientists and community leaders, honing your most precious gifts and talents until you find a “calling” in life.
A LEARNER DRIVEN COMMUNITY
Extraordinary people. Each focusing on a passion, learning at his or her own pace. Working hard. Playing hard. Mastering core skills while learning 21st century skills through real world projects.
- Written promises and covenants that form a tightly bound community of individuals learning to form authentic friendships and honestly resolve interpersonal problems.
- Mentor teams encourage younger and older students to listen, affirm, set goals and hold each other accountable.
- “Learn to Be” badges that celebrate character and completing leadership challenges.
EARN BADGES TO PROVE YOU’VE MASTERED NEW SKILLS
E.S.T.E.A.M heroes celebrate the mastery of tools, skills and character by earning badges, assembling portfolios and taking part in public exhibitions.
- Students and parents use badges to track academic progress in Core Skills like reading, writing, math and spelling and character development in “Learn to Be” Badges.
- Electronic and hard copy Portfolios capture rough drafts, photos, video and other creative work.
- Public exhibitions at the end of most Quests allow heroes to present work to experts, customers or the public for a real world test.
SHOW THE WORLD WHAT YOU CAN DO
Audition to join an extraordinary team.
Discover your gifts and passions and use them to find a calling.
Take control of your life, so you’ll never again be trapped in an ordinary place.
WHY AUDITION FOR E.S.T.E.A.M ACADEMY?
- Each individual at E.S.T.E.A.M Academy matters so we want to know WHO YOU ARE.
- Because we only have a few spots, reserved for extraordinary people. We need to know what you’re made of and that you’ll never give up.
- Most schools solicit applications; we’re a learning community that only accepts commitments from people who believe they are going to change the world. You have to prove yourself if you want a starring role in life.
Are you willing to take control of your education, work hard, and challenge yourself?
Click on the links below to watch their TED talks.
Founder of Khan Academy visiting Acton Academy., Austin TX
Founder of School In The Cloud visiting Acton Academy.
Co-Founder of Acton Academy & Middle School Guide.
TAKE THE FIRST STEP
YOUR AUDITION: 3 SIMPLE STEPS
Complete your research and begin work on your formal entry.
Complete your entry, including audition submission.