Do you want to change the world?
Do you crave working hard with a small, mission-driven, world-class team of entrepreneurs
changing the vision of school?
Position: Apprentice Guide (s) (Elementary Studio & MS/HS Studio) with quick potential for growth and leadership
If your passion is to fuel the love of learning in others while advancing your own personal and professional growth, this is your chance to get in on the ground floor of one of the world’s most innovative schools.
E.S.T.E.A.M Academy, founded by Nicholle Walton-Durban (4Reelz School of Film), JoAnn Nolte (Learning Fun 101), and the principles of Acton Academy, is a private micro-school and learner-driven community on a mission to help each person who enters our doors will find a calling and change the world. We combine elements of the Montessori method with Socratic guiding, hands-on experiential quests, and interactive technology. Underlying our method is an application of the Hero’s Journey creating a lively learning environment that feels more like an adventure than school.
At E.S.T.E.A.M, we have mixed-aged classrooms called studios with a self-paced learning design as opposed to grade levels. Our real-world-oriented quests culminate in a public exhibition of learning as opposed to testing scores and report cards. In all areas of E.S.T.E.A.M life, our students are empowered to be in the driver’s seat of their learning.
.We are seeking Apprentice Guide(s) for our Explorers (Elementary Level) and Pathfinders (MS / HS Level) Studios. Our Guides have the opportunity to grow quickly and steadily into a Lead Guide and ultimately open their own E.S.T.E.A.M Academy or take on a leadership role on our Round Rock campus.
We are looking for a smart, entrepreneurial-minded individual who is passionate about guiding children on their independent journey of lifelong learning, and who possesses an understanding of the Hero’s Journey and the Socratic Method. It is also helpful if this individual is familiar with the Montessori Method or unconventional educational models who are out-of-the-box thinkers.
Our model is a hybrid model. Core and Quest take place over three days a week (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday) with Enrichment Club opportunities on Monday and Friday. The guide is expected to work at least five days a week – three days in the studio (classroom) and two days for guided enrichment clubs on Monday and Friday. Other responsibilities include planning, documenting, communicating with School Director, and administrative tasks. During Summer we offer project-based camps in June and July, the guide is expected to plan and run summer camps.
The guide’s main role will be to move learners on a journey to understand and develop their most precious gifts, help them discover their deepest passions, and how to use them to serve others in a meaningful way that brings them joy. We believe our learners will go on to change the world in a profound way.
Position Description: The Apprentice Guide will work with the founders and other guides to:
- Affirm students, holding them accountable to their promises and to delivering “the best work they can do” as they discover and pursue their calling on a hero’s journey.
- Create meaningful opportunities, ceremonies, and celebrations that reinforce the rules of engagement, personal and group covenants to provide and strengthen a safe learning community.
- Act as a role model as an independent learner on a hero’s journey
- Launch and lead Socratic discussions
- Create and launch quests (projects), including daily challenges and curating world-class examples
- Supply studio environment and set up the studio as inspiration for learning
- Incorporate Montessori materials and lessons into ‘core skills’ work time. Observe and track each child’s progress.
- Encourage young heroes to track their progress and create portfolios to show parents and peers what they can do.
- Uphold promises to students, parents, and fellow Guides made in relational covenants.
- Pass along each of these responsibilities to students as quickly as possible, so as to allow students to lead themselves.
- Knowledgeable in Montessori and Project-Based learning
- A deep curiosity about life and love of lifelong learning
- Proven excellence in written and oral communication skills
- Evident passion for being on a Hero’s Journey.
- Experience managing mixed-aged groups of children
- Experience planning and implementing games or projects
- Coaching or mentoring experience is a plus
- A passion for disruptive education opportunities
- Deeply curious and ready to learn and work hard
- Agile with online learning; excellent writing and interpersonal communication skills; entrepreneurial thinker; reader
- Deep heart for children and a trust and respect for their ability to learn and grow without heavy adult intervention
- Kind-hearted and tough-minded; independent worker; calm demeanor and secure in being on a Hero’s Journey.
This is a position for an independent learner who can work with little direct guidance; someone who likes to collaborate, experiment, evaluate and continually improve; someone who has a deep respect for all children believing that each human has genius within; and someone who is a flexible problem-solver. It is essential that this person can learn fast, loves to work hard, and is an active reader and writer who understand the importance of continued training and self-evaluation.
Our School year begins the first week in September and is an 11-month program. Guides spend the month of August prepping for the year and setting up the space. We run on 6-7 week sessions with 1-2 week breaks in between sessions. Part time and Full Time opportunities are available. Guides enjoy Competitive pay, commensurate with experience, PTO, and additional benefits. Partial or Full work trade for Student Scholarships is also available.
BEGIN NOW: 4 SIMPLE STEPS
STEP 1: Take the quiz and provide the requested documents
STEP 2: Do your Research & Tell us about yourself.
STEP 3: Interview with Head of School
STEP 4: In studio observations and Student interview
If you’re ready to start your journey and become an apprentice guide